Finance Manager, Transportation
We are hiring a Finance Manager to work out of our branch in Burlington!
Financial Reporting and Analysis
- Prepare month-end and year end journal entries.
- Update month-end working papers with financial data and supporting schedules and complete all accounting reconciliations and other required financial analysis.
- Prepare data required for monthly financial statement consolidation.
- Prepare consolidated analysis of company financial statements and variance to budget and prior years.
- Compile reports necessary to comply with provincial laws and federal regulations.
- Prepare working papers required for annual external and tax audits.
- Support the preparation of annual budgets and analyze/compare actual performance with budget.
- Participate in project based work identified by the finance operations team.
- Identify financial reporting issues and support the execution of solutions for Director of Financial Operations.
Business Planning & Analysis
- Develop and manage the planning, reporting, and analytical tools necessary to maximize business effectiveness and efficiency, including Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) by divisional business segment and product as appropriate
- Develop forward-looking business and operational planning including business metrics analysis and business performance management, identify and analyze information
- Identify performance gaps and streamline accounting roles
- Working with Financial Operations, assist management with the compilation of the annual business plan, capital expenditure plan, and budget; update 12 month rolling forecasts
- Perform analysis of monthly operating results against budget, forecast and prior periods to identify operational efficiency opportunities and cost savings
- Assist with cost/benefit analysis of divisional projects, capital investments, business line profitability
- Meet with branch and department managers to review financial results and other KPIs for the businesses
- Coordinate the preparation of annual capital expenditure program
- Streamline accounting roles of financial operations team and business units.
- Supervise Office and Accounting Administrators Employees
- Support team with follow up on collection of warehouse tenant accounts
Systems and Training
- Act as a subject matter expert and process lead for retail inventory processes in TMW, liaising with cross-functional teams and third party software vendors for process changes and improvements
- Liaise with stakeholders to identify systems requirements
- Facilitate team communication
- Coordinate test runs with real case scenarios to uncover weak links
- Develop process training documentation, coordinate and lead internal training sessions for retail branch staff on operational processes
Professional Associations/Industry Relations
- Demonstrate a high degree of service and follow up to internal and external customers
- Maintain an on-going knowledge of accounting and industry practices and trends
- Participate in industry associations, attend related conferences, etc.
Company Knowledge and Mutual Support
- Become knowledgeable about the Sylvite Agri-Services Transportation division and the products and services it provides to customers
- Documentation of all processes and tasks for which a function is responsible
- Demonstrate a high degree of service to and collaboration with other business units
- Provide support to other department members maintaining a sense of team
- Provide positive feedback to others when possible; coach others for success
- Recommend opportunities for improvement of processes and systems as a result of the function performed or based on observations
- Recommend opportunities for reducing costs
Key Personal Attributes Required
- Flexible, pragmatic problem solver
- Thrive in an ever-changing environment
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of personnel
- Strong financial analysis background with a track record
- Strong background in operational process review and improvement
- Ability to interpret, comprehend and apply complex material, data and instruction
- Prepare, provide and convey diversified information
- Time management and organizational skills
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet tight deadlines
- Initiative, good judgment and ability to make decisions in a timely manner
- Ability to motivate and direct staff, provide performance feedback and deal with all aspects of leading a team by providing clear and accurate direction, be a team player
Education, Experience and/or Training Requirements
- Accounting Designation completed CPA
- 3-5 years prior experience in Great Plains and TMW
- Professional knowledge of financial and cost accounting principles
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft desktop applications
- On-the-Job Training specific to Function
- Application Software Familiarity
- General Employee Orientation
- Completion of Required Courses to Maintain Accreditation/Designation
- Ongoing Professional Development Courses
Sensory Attention – High level of attention to detail
Mental Stress – Perseverance to meet deadlines